Tuesday, August 7, 2012

If I could hire Apple to design my kitchen...

There are lots of technologies out there that I would love to combine to create a kitchen that would let me save money, reduce waste, and cook much healthier meals for my family. Here's a scenario:

I am thinking about dinner, so I pull up the kitchen app. The app pulls data from the RFID chips in all of the products currently in my refrigerator and cabinets. An inventory is generated of everything currently at my disposal, and sensors check for chemical signatures that indicate which foods are closest to expiration and/or spoilage.

With the list of supplies and priorities compiled, the app culls through a list of my most frequently prepared recipes, as well as scanning popular food sites for related recipes. A list of possible menu items is presented to me, along with rankings based on preparation and cook times, difficulty, and reviews by other users. Another list is also provided that offers additional recipes that could be prepared by purchasing an additional ingredient or two.

I select the meal I want to prepare, and choose the time that I want to eat. The over sets itself to preheat at the appropriate time, and a reminder is added to my calendar that will alert me when I should begin preparations. When the time comes, digital balances built into the counters will ensure that I prepare the appropriate portions of each dish.

At the beginning of each week, the inventory is updated, menu options for the following weeks are suggested, including options that take advantage of coupons and special offers from the grocery store, as well as the expected share of my local consumer supported agriculture pick-up. I can choose meals that I want to plan for the week, and a shopping list is generated.

If the kitchen could be integrated with ordering software at the grocery store, I could have my entire order waiting for me when I arrive, or better still, have the items I select delivered right to my door. RFID chips in the new items are catalogued, and the process begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment